Manufacturing News / Packaging
US packaging machinery shipments indicate a potential up-swing in the economy.

US packaging machinery shipments up 12 percent in 2010

December 12, 2011
/ Print / Reprints /
ShareMore
/ Text Size+

US packaging machine shipments

US packaging machine shipments are up in 2010. Source: PMMI.

US packaging machinery shipments got a green light in 2010 and saw a 12 percent jump from 2009, according to end-of-year figures from PMMI. 2010 shipments were $5.5 billion, up from $4.9 billion in 2009 according to PMMI’s annual US Packaging Machinery Shipments report.

The report also indicates exports, as measured in US dollars, increased 9 percent, from $891 million in 2009 to $975 million in 2010, while imports increased 13 percent—from $1.17 billion to $1.32 billion.

“In recent years, the packaging machinery market has reflected trends in the general economy,” says Charles Yuska, PMMI president and CEO. “2008 shipments were generally flat from 2007, and 2009 shipments dropped by about 16.3 percent. The increase in 2010 shipments mimicked the slow economic recovery. However, preliminary data shows significant growth in 2011.

“The proportions between market niches are consistent with what we’ve seen since 2004: Food is the largest market, then beverage, then pharmaceutical and medical,” says Yuska. “Together, they average out to about 70 percent of the market.”

The PMMI report notes food (about 40 percent in 2010), beverage (about 23 percent) and pharmaceuticals/medical devices accounted for 70 percent of dollars spent on packaging machinery. The other categories—including CPG, chemicals, hardware/industrial/automotive, converters/printers and personal care/toiletries/cosmetics—make up the remaining 30 percent.

US packaging machinery shipments for 2010 were estimated by combining responses from 178 PMMI member packaging machinery manufacturers (subtracting Canadian members) with projected non-member shipments.

The executive summary of the study is available to PMMI members. For more information, contact Paula Feldman, director of business intelligence, 703-243-8555, pfeldman@pmmi.org.

Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to Food Engineering Magazine.

You must login or register in order to post a comment.

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

Fabulous Food Plant: Paramount Citrus

Learn more about this fabulous food plant in Food Engineering's article, found here.

Podcasts

Burns & McDonnell project manager RJ Hope and senior project engineer Justin Hamilton discuss the distinctions between Food Safety and Food Defense as well as the implications for food manufacturers of the Food Safety Modernization Act.
More Podcasts

What was your favorite part of FA&M 2014?

View Results Poll Archive

THE MAGAZINE

Food Engineering Magazine

Food engineering magazine 2014 april cover

2014 April

Catch a preview of the Powder and Bulk Show in this April 2014 edition of Food Engineering. Also, be sure to check out a coffee stick making a real stir and a major advancement in the the pet food industry.
Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE FOOD ENGINEERING STORE

Food-Authentication-Flyer-(.gif
Food Authentication Using Bioorganic Molecules

This text provides critical tools and data needed to augment routine food analysis and enhance food safety by aiding in the detection of counterfeit, and potentially deleterious, foods.

More Products

Clear Seas Research

Clear Seas ResearchWith access to over one million professionals and more than 60 industry-specific publications,Clear Seas Research offers relevant insights from those who know your industry best. Let us customize a market research solution that exceeds your marketing goals.

Food Master

Food Master Cover 2014Food Master 2014 is now available!

 

Where the buying process begins in the food and beverage manufacturing market. 

Visit www.foodmaster.com to learn more.

STAY CONNECTED

FE recent tweets

facebook_40.pngtwitter_40px.pngyoutube_40px.pnglinkedin_40px.png