- THE MAGAZINE
- FOOD MASTER
The report describes the economy as realigning itself post-recession, and notes that businesses and the US economy are on more secure footing today than in the time of the 2008 financial collapse. Data that point to upcoming economic expansion include:
• Upward growth of the US Leading Indicator
• The Purchasing Managers Index has dropped, but still is above the midpoint of 50—a growth indicator
• Non-defense capital goods new orders (without aircraft) are expanding, but slower than a year ago
• Retail sales slowed in the last half of 2011, but remain positive, showing a 2.4 percent growth above the year earlier
• Corporate bond prices, money supply and stock prices are all rising.
The report also analyzes important market segments: pharmaceutical and medical devices; personal care; beverages, coffee and tea; chemicals and cleaning products; consumer/commercial industrial durables; hardgoods; components and parts; and food and food preparation.
The report is freely available to PMMI members. For more information, contact PMMI.