FDA obesity fight focuses on food labels
April 1, 2004
- enhancing the food label to display calorie count more prominently and to use meaningful serving sizes
- initiating a consumer education campaign focusing on the "Calories Count" message
- encouraging restaurants to provide nutritional information to consumers
- stepping up enforcement actions concerning accuracy of food labels
- revising FDA guidance for developing drugs to treat obesity, and
- working cooperatively with other government agencies, non-profits, industry, and academia on obesity research.