Food industry management will use the FIRST tool kit as part of ongoing employee food defense training programs. The tool kit focuses on five key points that industry and businesses can use to educate first line workers about the risks of food contamination. Each of the letters in the FIRST acronym describes an action that a first line employee can take to mitigate risks of contamination. They are:
- F-Follow company food defense plan and procedures
- I-Inspect your work area and surrounding areas
- R-Recognize anything out of the ordinary
- S-Secure all ingredients, supplies and finished product
- T-Tell management if you notice anything unusual or suspicious.