Call it a mitsubishi, the Japanese contraction meaning "three diamonds."
Similarly, Morningstar's International Delight non-dairy creamer was at a convenience disadvantage when competitor Carnation rolled out Coffee Mate with an easy-open dispenser. With International Delight's market-leading position in peril, Morningstar asked closure supplier Owens-Illinois to go one better. The solution: a toggle-closing end that can be both opened and closed with the press of a thumb.
Other award winners in the food category include:
- Kraft Foods and Printpak for Ritz Chips in a stand-up pouch with a peelable, easy-open feature (gold award)
- Ross Products and Owens-Illinois for Ensure nutritional drink with a six-layer barrier bottle to withstand thermal processing (gold award)
- Spain's Nutrexpa SA and EDV Packaging Solutions for La Piara pate spreads in a polypropylene thermoformed cup that withstands sterilization and minimizes ultraviolet oxidation and oxygen migration (gold award)
- Plumrose USA and Curwood Inc. for Danola brand deli meats in a horizontal form, fill, seal thermoform package with a Zip-Pak Slider reclosable feature (silver award)
- Alcan Packaging for cheese film featuring controlled atmosphere that retains moisture while allowing some gases to escape and preventing oxygen from penetrating (silver award)
- Heinz and Alcan Packaging for a standup condiment pouch for foodservice applications (silver award).
For more information:
Bill Williams, Liquid Container/Plaxicon, 630-562-5800
Timothy McAshlan, Owens-Illinois, 419-247-8223,