North Bay Produce recalled bulk apples and bagged fresh apples because of possible listeria contamination.
A finished product test found Listeria monocytogenes, the Traverse City, Mich., company says in its recall announcement. North Bay Produce is investigating the cause, in cooperation with the FDA.
The company recalled 2,297 cases and two bulk bins of McIntosh, Honeycrisp, Jonathan, Fuji, Jonamac and Red Delicious apples. Recalled apples were sold in plastic bags under the brands Great Lakes, North Bay Produce Pure Michigan, as well as unbranded in clear plastic tote bags, white paper tote bags and individually from retailer display trays.
The apples were shipped between Oct. 16 and Oct. 21 from one facility to wholesalers, retailers and brokers in Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin.
Recalled varieties include plastic bags that say Product of MIUSA:
- McIntosh Great Lakes 3 lb., UPC 8 13635 01012 8
- Jonathan Great Lakes 3 lb., UPC 8 13635 01017 3
- Honeycrisp Great Lakes 3 lb., UPC 8 13635 01018 0
- Jonamac Great Lakes 3 lb., UPC 8 13635 01019 7
- McIntosh North Bay Pure Michigan 3 lb., 8 13635 01012 8
- Honeycrisp North Bay Pure Michigan 2 lb., 8 13635 01130 9
Other recalled products are:
- Honeycrisp quarter peck paper tote bags, item number 700116
- Fuji half peck plastic tote bags, PLU 4195 (sold at Fresh Thyme Farmers Market stores)
- Jonathan bulk 600 lb. corrugated bins
- McIntosh distributed in trays, PLU 4019
- Red Delicious distributed in trays and sold individually for retail sale, PLU 4168 and 4167
The company was not aware of any illnesses linked by health officials to the recall. Apples bought before Oct. 16 are not affected by the recall.
People with the recalled apples should throw them away or return them to the store. Anyone with questions may call the company at 231-929-4001 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT weekdays. You can leave a message on the weekend that the company will return. Or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To see product and label photos, go to the company’s announcement.